black and white picture of a wave crashing into a park

Flood Insurance: The Need for Coverage is Now Crucial

If you live along a coastline, or near a lake or river, the need for flood protection is standard. But increasingly unpredictable weather patterns and an uptick in land development have recently combined to reduce the earth’s capacity for water absorption and increase the risk of flooding—even for homes that aren’t near water. 

As the urgency around flood insurance grows, trust a team who can help you get covered quickly and comprehensively. At Dayton Ritz + Osborne Insurance, we have experienced specialists who put your safety and well-being first in potentially critical situations. 


What Has Changed? 

In 2018, the United States Geological Survey named “impervious surfaces” as the leading cause of flooding in non-coastal cities. Impervious surfaces describe natural landscapes in cities that are replaced by roads, buildings, housing developments, and parking lots due to economic growth and increased population and development.

Impervious surfaces directly impact local streams in terms of water quality and streamflow and flooding characteristics. Typically, stormwater has a natural runoff, or watershed, where water is absorbed into the soil and slowly emptied into streams. As watersheds are urbanized, much of the vegetation is replaced by said roads, buildings, etc., reducing the area where absorption to groundwater can occur. Thus, more stormwater runoff occurs; runoff that must be collected by extensive drainage systems, like storm sewers, to carry that runoff directly to streams. In developed areas with inadequate drainage systems, much more water runs into streams more quickly, resulting in an increased likelihood of more frequent and severe flooding. 

Sure, one solution would be to live in a place with untouched watersheds, free of impervious surfaces, but that’s not a realistic option. New roads and structures are being built yearly throughout the country, and not just in urban cities. The fact is that impervious surfaces are much closer to the norm than natural landscapes. So, more often than not, protecting your home from a potential flood may be in the cards.  


What Are My Options?

Insurance can help make you whole based on flood damage to your home, property, and possessions. It can also help you pay for a temporary residence while your home is being repaired. Most typical homeowner policies don’t cover flood damage as a separate instance. For water and flood damage, you’ll need an insurance solution that includes a separate flood policy. Personal and Excess Flood Insurance accessed through DRO offers better coverage for you and your family and covers the possessions that matter most to you and your family.

Personal and Excess Flood Insurance can cover:

  • Replacement cost for damaged property and possessions. In many cases, standard flood policies won’t cover the full cost to repair or rebuild your home after a flood. The right coverage will replace your property and possessions (up to the limit on your policy), without deduction for depreciation, in the event of a covered loss.
  • You won’t have to wait. Claims adjusters will deliver a claims experience that gets you and your family back on your feet quickly.
  • Higher limits for your high-value home. Personal Flood Insurance can provide up to $15 million in total property coverage for your home and its contents.
  • Proactive measures. Coverage up to $5,000 is included for expenses to help protect your home from flood damage and to move your property out of harm’s way when a flood warning is issued. 
  • Better protection where floods are likely to cause the most damage. If you have a finished basement that serves as a home theater, billiard room, or another purpose-built space, we find you a policy that offers added protection for damage-prone areas that others may not.
  • More coverage for precious possessions. With the right coverage, you will receive higher-than-average limits for special possessions such as art, collectibles, jewelry and silverware, and even golf carts—$5,000 for each category.
  • Coverage if you must live away from home due to flooding. Additional living expense coverage pays up to $7,500 for a temporary residence, meals, and other expenses you may incur if your home can’t be lived in during rebuilding or repairs after a covered flood loss. Higher limits are available for an additional premium.

How DRO Can Help 

At Dayton Ritz + Osborne, we understand your needs and risks. Our disciplined approach to complex risk ensures that we’ll ask you the right questions to help us arrive at simple, optimal solutions. Our professionals present the facts, insights, and suggestions, and answer your questions, then work with you to choose a course of action. Our process is personal, because protecting you, your home, and everything in it is personal.

For more information on our policies, call us at 631-324-0420 or contact us today.