7 Car Maintenance Tips for the Winter Weather
When it comes to driving in the winter months, the condition of your vehicle is just as important as road safety precautions. We know a trip to the dealership is not exactly your favorite way to spend an afternoon. However, it’s important to make sure your car is prepped for the colder weather. Here are some maintenance tips for taking care of your car during the winter:
- Keep an eye on your tire pressure: Winter terrain can cause significant wear and tear to your tires. Check your tire pressure consistently to make sure all of your tires are filled adequately with air. Low tire pressure will make your tires more susceptible to damage, going flat, or cause your tires to lose traction.
- Consider swapping out for winter tires: Winter tires are more flexible on difficult terrain. They are designed to handle the snow and be more malleable to different weather conditions. Err on the side of caution and consider swapping your tires out for winter ones.
- Protect your windshield wipers: Sub-freezing temperatures can cause damage to your windshield wipers or can cause them to get stuck. If snow is in the forecast, make sure your wipers are pulled up and away from your windshield. You can also try covering them up to prevent them from freezing over.
- Check your headlights: Harsh weather conditions and the earlier sunset can decrease your visibility while driving. Your headlights should be operating properly to ensure that you can see as best as possible and to alert other drivers that you are on the road.
- Check your car systems: Test your car’s heating and defrosting capabilities to ensure they’re operating properly.
- Have necessities packed in your car in case you get stranded: Severe weather conditions increase chances of accidents and car problems. Get ahead of the storm and pack a bag of essentials in your car in case of an emergency. Make sure you have things like a coat, gloves, flashlight, snow scraper, and any other helpful gear.
- Follow up on routine maintenance: To ensure that your car is in its optimal condition, check your battery, oil tank, and get it serviced for any additional maintenance checks.
Dayton Ritz + Osborne Insurance is here to make sure you prepare your vehicle for the winter. Our insurance services put your safety first. For more information on our auto insurance policies, give us a call at 631-324-0420.